Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Mule Deer & God's Promises

Exercise Tip:  If you have the means, hire a good trainer to help you get into shape.  Their expertise and accountability will take you much farther than you can go on your own.

For the last decade I have felt like a prisoner trapped inside my own body. I could never emphasize enough how demoralizing, frustrating, and infuriating that has been.  I live in one of the most beautiful states in the union, and haven't been able to enjoy it because physically, I wasn't up to it.

In February, I went to Usery, a mountain park operated by the city.  I had Aztec (my dog) with me, so we didn't go on a trail, we simply walked the road that runs through the park at a slight incline.  Two measily miles. It was so hard.  I was so out of shape, and the next day I was so sore you'd think I'd nearly been beaten to death. 

I was so disgusted with myself.

Fast forward to today.  That demoralizing walk has never been far from mind.  But I've spent the last 11 weeks working out, getting expert help from a trainer, and today I decided I was going to Usery again to test myself.

Today I walked that graded road with much more ease, finishing that two miles in the same time it takes me to walk level ground in the neighborhood.  And guess what?  It was the DOG who was dragging her tail on this morning's walk! 8-)

If the story stopped there, that would be enough.  But even since I've been working out, I have deeply doubted my ability to return to a good fitness level.  I'm 46 years old.  Age and life takes it's toll on you, no matter what you do.

But I'm also a firm believer that God employs signs to speak to His people.  Today as we walked, I saw a deer in that park.  The first I have seen in 14 years.  Quiet, confident, at peace with itself as it meandered through the desert shrubs.  She even stopped to look back at me for several seconds.  Not frightened.  Not in a hurry.  We were just having a moment.  Then she wandered off.

I believe it was a symbol of promise from God.

Today is the first day I truly, fully believed it is possible for me to attain a fitness level that will allow me to live the kind of life I want to live.

I was so moved by the experience I bought an annual pass for the park, now fully confident I could get my money's worth.  Then I came home, put the dog in her crate to rest, and hammered out 2 more miles around the neighborhood. 8-)

Being physically fit isn't about vanity.  It's about LIVING and not just existing.  It's about being capable of being a vessel God can use in the plan He has for me.

No comments: